Thinking styles: Visual vs Abstract vs Verbal vs Logic vs Connective vs Kinesthetic etc.

I’ve been surprised so much watching a clip about “aphantasia” saying “your mind is blind” just because a picture does not pop up in your mind when you think of something. I’ve always considered myself a "visual thinker", though! Most of my thoughts are in “visual” form, or at least non-verbal form. I can imagine any shape, 2D, 3D, even 4D, not only in static but usually in dynamic state, let them move, transform, etc. But as I close my eyes, I see nothing but a black screen! It’s much harder for me to imagine things eyes closed than when eyes open. If I try a lot (when eyes close)… I can imagine some simple things but very flickering. So with eyes closed, I’m near “aphantasic”, and with eyes open, I’m “hypophantasic”, while I spend all of my life thinking with visualization instead of saying internal monologues.

Where’s the root of that “contradiction”?

It lies in the abstractness of my "mental image" and the “low resolution” of my mental screen. It’s a trade off for my multi-dimentional & connectional visualization. With such a low resolution, I can only visualize limited amount of details at one time, but I can traverse the vast “network of connections” from the overall shape to any specific detail.

1. Visual (Pictorial) vs Abstract

When eyes open, I usually “see” the imagined things as “transparent” shapes overlaying on the scene in front of my eyes. Actually those stuffs have various abstraction levels in various dimensions. At the most abstract level, an imagined stuff doesn’t have any shape, just an abstract idea with all of its complexity and connections with others as well as with its properties, connections with its other representations in other abstraction levels, etc. Following those connections, I can refine it to details, shapes, behaviors, colors, textures, etc. That process of visualize things from abstract to concrete representations is very much like how a car is designed and rendered on computer. But much more than the 2D flat screen of the computer, my internal “screen” is multi-dimensional, not in geometric sense (3D- 4D), but in informational sense. Only if I have to “project” all of them onto a 2D screen in front of my eyes, I'll see the imagined shapes overlaying on the actual scene outside like in augmented reality.

In contrast, my wife, a hyperphantasic, feels much easier to visualize things with eyes closed than with eyes open. When eyes open, she’s distracted with the external scene. But when eyes close, she can concentrate and see vividly the internal scene with full details… with no abstract! She’s very difficult to understand abstract concepts, so when explaining things, I usually have to use concrete examples.

2. Abstract vs Verbal

Many ones may think that without pictures popping up in mind, you must think in words (internal monologue). But that’s not my case. From a child I was in a low end of autism spectrum, thus had difficulty expressing in words what I think, just because I didn’t think in words. Growing up, I’d tried hard to learn using language to express my ideas, then ended up running many monologues inside my head just like "normal" people. But that verbal expression is just for my communication and theory forming (I’m a theorist). Whenever thinking deeply about new things, I first visualize them, manipulate them, do experiment with them to observe the result etc. Only after I “see” them clearly inside, can I find words to describe them, or sometime I must “coin” my new terms to express what I’ve seen inside. So, even I do use a lot of verbal tools to capture the rich abstraction & complexity of the internal world, like in this article, I don’t think in words at first hand.

3. Verbal vs Logic vs Connective vs Kinesthetic

After learning both natural languages and formal languages (maths, logics, programming languages, ...), I’ve used language as a tool to express my ideas and logics. But not only the ideas, the logics also does not come from language.  For example, I think of a formula like “If P then Q” like “If you hit me then I’ll be angry” not as a sentence, nor as a diagram “P → Q”, but as a bundle of connections from P to Q with all of its complexity. Thus I usually don’t say “I think” but say “I see” the logics. Only when I need to write/draw it down, I use verbal language and graphical language (diagram).

Moreover, my mental images are basically dynamic, thus they are constructed, transformed, and manipulated by my “mental hands”. That kind of thinking is very much kinesthetic, and it’s related to my strength in sport and dancing. With that kinesthetic thinking, I'm much better than my wife and many other (hyper)phantasic friends in spatial cognition skills. I've observed that while (hyper)phantasics see pitures & the concretes, hypo/a-phatasics see space & the abstracts, and they're all trade offs.

4. Abstraction & spirituality (hypnosis, meditation, ...)

The contrast between me and my wife reflects clearly on the suggestibility in hypnosis: while she’s very easy to be hypnotized, I’m good at hypnotizing and very difficult to be hypnotized. When eyes closed, she can immerse into the internal scene just like in real life, while I almost see nothing. However I’m good at meditation. My meditative state is nothing similar to the real life. In that state, I can chose to enter the emptiness or chose to observe the internal working of our minds (my mind as well as the minds of others around). Although that meditative state is usually easier to be reached with eyes closed in a quiet environment, but that’s just to reduce distraction. In everyday life, I usually enter meditative state on site to observe various things around and my mental working inside.

The only time I can actually see things like in real life with eyes closed is when I dream. As a part of meditation, I usually observe my dreams and they are various, too. From the flashing scenes to continuous scenes, from abstract objects to concrete objects, my dreams are so various. In a dream, I passed by a tree crown but didn’t see it clearly, then I decided to do an experiment: I got back and stared at the tree, the abstract shape of the crown refined itself into individual leaves; looking more at the leaves, they became colorful. So there’s also a process of abstract to concrete refinement (rendering) in my dreams, just like in my awake thoughts, but much faster and automatic. Actually, in the real life, everything I see also generates images in that abstract to concrete way, but it’s so fast and automatic that I can only recognize that process when observing them in meditative state.

In contrast, the (hyper)phantasics, like my wife, only see the end result of the "rendering process" which are photographic/pictorial images, no matter in dreams, in closed eye visualization, or when eyes open. Therefore, they are easier to see "paranormal" phenomina, like "ghost", strange things, strange phenomina, etc. Diving deep into the mental world, I see those stranges are just the manifestation of the abstract things, unseen by them but projected onto their 2D screen. I see this world is a giant stage and this life is a giant play or dream or film on that stage. Most of us only see the 2D images of that film without seeing the process rendering those images. That's why the spiritual world are so mystical.

+ A little bit about the terms:

Although my wife is clearly hyperphantasic, my case is no way clear between “phantasic”, "hypophantasic" and “aphantasic”. I think there would be much more than just a linear scale from “hyperphantasia” to “aphantasia”. Here are some suggestions:

Nhận xét

Bài đăng phổ biến từ blog này

☯ Làm mịn hình sóng = Âm-Dương giao hòa = Giải thoát

Cây Kiến Thức & nguồn gốc của Khổ đau

"Logistic" là gì?!

3 chặng đúng-sai

Trăng quầng thì cạn, trăng tán thì mưa

Con ngươi, đồng tử, pupil

Chỉ một chữ "Thương"

Con Ukhoatpklà 😃

Cái sướng của vô minh (The bliss of ignorance)